Community Garden Coming Soon!
You are invited to bring questions and concerns about the proposed community garden on the vacant land on Liberty Rd. to a meeting on December 15, 7 p.m. at Schirle Elementary School. The following letter from Sunnyslope resident Sally Cook explains what is happening:
My name is Sally Cook and I am a resident of the Sunnyslope neighborhood. The city has agreed to allow for a community garden in the two vacant lots that have been for sale on Liberty Rd between Lockwood and Cunningham. I have been working with Marion Polk Foodshare and the Sunnyslope Neighborhood Association to establish the best use of this land as possible.
This community garden is in the very early planning stage. I want to make sure that neighbors and surrounding businesses have a chance to voice any concerns and be involved in the design and planning of the garden. The following concerns about using this space as a community garden are already being addressed:
- Parking – parking should not negatively impact neighbors or local business.
- Appearance and design of garden – because Liberty Rd is highly visible, and the land is directly behind neighborhood homes, any garden should be designed to add to the value to the area and not create an eyesore.
- Effort should be taken to make use of existing features such as established trees and wildlife in the community garden.
- Clear guidelines for garden use and a process for conflict resolution should be established to allow for maximum self-sufficiency and productivity.
- Minimize costs of garden in keeping with a self-sufficiency model.
If you have any feedback, other concerns about the project or would like to be more involved with the community garden, please come to the next Sunnyslope Neighborhood Association meeting at 7pm on Dec. 15, 2011 at Schirle Elementary School.
If you are unable to attend this meeting and have questions or would like to be more involved, please contact Ian Dixon-McDonald with Marion Polk Foodshare. His number is (503) 581-3855 ex 329 and email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!